Wednesday 27 September 2017

Notes from sketchbook - September 17

I've been keeping an artwork diary... something of the tonne of different ideas that go through my head while I'm working and notes of stuff I've seen & read. I've been working on several different artworks but the Improbable Structures are the most problematic, deliberately so, and therefore more interesting to me.

10.9 "White paper performing as both foreground + background in some of them, which needs fixing. In 'Homes for Some - Summer in Glass Houses' & 'Summer Camp' the white (paper) is frame and it's quite effective when the darkness (which is pushed back) creeps onto the frame. Lost some of that with the frameless ones. Orange (might call it Helicopter??) needs more, and currently working on the clearing.

Auerbach and Uglow drawings. Destruction of surface / texture and erasure.

Terry Greene's Just Another Painter blog.

Occurs to me that I'm breaking down elements of a painting into different layers of action. First colour, then texture, then illusion of form with b&w charcoal / chalk / paint. First layer(s) are textural, abstract, the second layer architectural elevations. I ignore obvious paths to form new lines. The 3rd layer is form, imaginative, illusory.

Making art and sharing art are entirely different actions and involve different brain processes. This is SO obvious.

Playing with perspective and hidden. Got a comment from Kev, when I showed him the Peter Doig painting of Briey, that I've got a layers and hidden things in my work too. He put one palm in front of him and then another a hand's width behind it - beyond the surface. Happy with that.

26.9
Meeting at Telford, a foggy start but drove back down the M6 noticing the turning foliage almost matched the orange of the TMS signs. Mossy green and pale cerulean sky. Motorway lamps cascading into the distance. Very banal and very beautiful at the same time. Autumn sun on the side of the office building where my meeting was.



A couple of recent sketchbook pages:



The Clearing walks, farts and scampers off into the distance. 




No comments: