Monday 1 January 2024

Blue Rec - production images

Thought I would share some extra images from the Blue Rec commission. Here's other blog post about the commission with all the various links. Blue Rec blog post.

This image is from the extraction of the brick guard. 


The following ones, are from putting together the fabric that is on the reverse of the Blue Rec hangings which are printed with images made from scanning the ground in the months after extraction. One of these is currently on the background of this blog.


This backing took a long time to make because I decided to dye the fabric with dye plants located near the excavation site which took a while. And was also quite complicated to do because all the shaped pockets had to be in exactly the right place, with a couple of holes wandering off to give an idea of the plastic board maybe eventually breaking up. I got deeply involved in making it, and I really enjoyed the process. Not least because the fabric took on the aroma of the plant dyes and it was just really pleasurable to handle. 





It's probably the least visible part of the installation but is my favourite bit. Partly because it remains a bit hidden and because it physically holds remnants of the woodland as I didn't rinse the dye out. By installation the fabric still carried a faint aroma of the plant dyes and I like the idea of these still being in conflict with the board, which I was adamant wouldn't be in the installation at all, but ended up casting shade from a corner.










 

No comments: