Sunday 12 December 2021

Crow Papers

Listen on Soundcloud: SOUNDCLOUD
Crow Papers - hanging 


This is Crow Papers, which I installed last week at Crow Recycling Scapstore. It's part of a programme of commissions by visual artists based in Coventry designed to bring visual art out of Coventry City of Culture into the suburbs of Coventry and towns of Warwickshire. It's affliated with Coventry City of Culture and run by Coventry Artspace - who've been brilliant. I'm really grateful to have had the chance to make this work and to get to know Crow Recycling, who are lovely and are a great resource of artist materials.

So I have to deeply apologise for creating yet another artwork that is difficult (read - impossible) to photograph as one whole thing without getting all manner of things in the background of the shot, but nevermind, the sun was shining intermittantly on the day of install, so I managed to get some photos of detail.

I've been involved in the Artist on My Street project from the beginning of all the commissions as producer of the audio guide that features each of the artist windows. So, for a change I'm not going to go into great detail here about the work as I have created both an onsite audio guide via Echoes LINK (It's a free app and you can be there or listen offline) and also a longer personal podcast on Soundcloud - which is my first podcast, so we will have to see how that goes.

However, here are some of my research photos from October this year, of inside Crow and around about Hillfields.

Hillfields is an area with a number of economic and social challenges to its fabric, but that in itself presents an interesting subject, especially since the places where other species interact are usually where humans are not, or where we have left untidy spaces, therefore I consider Hillfields to be quite rich in diversity because of its unkemptness, and I really enjoyed my hours spent exploring there. 

A few photos of the work in production. The silvery stuff is an insulation board left from my Silverhouses project. It's been really useful to use as a guide for layout and I really miss not using them in the actual installation. Sadly, it's about 2.5 inches thick and there is no room at the bottom of the stairs at Crow. 







No comments: